How does insurance compensate for costs related to coronavirus?[31.08]
If I catch the Covid-19 disease caused by the coronavirus at home and cannot go on a trip, does insurance cover my costs?
* If you have taken basic travel interruption coverage, insurance will not reimburse the costs incurred.
* If you have taken expanded travel insurance coverage, insurance will reimburse the costs incurred on accommodation and transport. Up to 2,000 euros per insured person will be compensated, but not more than the sum insured specified in the policy.
* If you have taken coverage for cancellation of your own volition, 70% of the costs incurred will be reimbursed. The coverage for cancellation of your own volition should be purchased when making your first travel bookings, but no later than within 2 weeks of buying the trip.
Please note! If the borders of the destination country have been closed at the time of purchasing the travel insurance and they remain closed until the start date of the trip, the expanded coverage for cancellation of your own volition does not apply. This qualifies as foreseeable damage and any costs incurred due to the cancelled trip will not be reimbursed.
If a member of my family catches COVID-19 and I have to remain in isolation so that I cannot travel, will the insurance cover the costs?
If you have taken expanded travel insurance coverage, insurance will reimburse the costs incurred on accommodation and transport. Up to 2,000 euros per insured person will be compensated, but not more than the sum insured specified in the policy.
A child from my child’s school or kindergarten was diagnosed with coronavirus and my child has had close contact. Is expanded travel insurance coverage valid if we cannot go to the trip due to self-isolation of the child?
In this event, the insurance cover does not apply. If the insured family member has had close contact and must stay in self-isolation, this is not considered an illness and the costs incurred will not be indemnified. If, however, one or several family members are tested positive, i.e. they fall ill, the travel costs of all the family will be indemnified to the extent of the insured amount (up to EUR 2000 per insured person).
If I catch the coronavirus while already being on a trip, does travel insurance cover medical treatment expenses?
Yes, if you catch a viral disease, incl. the coronavirus, abroad, any associated medical assistance costs will be reimbursed. This includes appointment fees, hospital costs and the cost of medicinal products prescribed by doctors.
If I have to be quarantined abroad, does Seesam reimburse associated or additional costs?
* Medical treatment expenses arising from falling ill are reimbursed pursuant to medical care insurance.
* If you have taken expanded travel insurance coverage, insurance will reimburse the additional costs on accommodation and transport incurred as a result of being put under quarantine.
* If you have taken basic travel interruption coverage, additional accommodation costs, the cost of new flight tickets and other similar costs incurred due to being put under quarantine will not be reimbursed.
One person in the travel group, who is not a family member, is diagnosed with COVID-19. Does the insurance indemnify the costs arising from quarantine to the rest of the travel group (others have had close contact but tested negative)?
The costs for the rest of the travel group are not indemnified. In the event that a travel companion falls ill, the costs arising from staying in quarantine will not be indemnified. The insurance will indemnify these costs only if a family member falls ill.
I'm planning to go on a trip with a friend, but he/she is diagnosed with COVID-19 and has to cancel the trip. Does travel insurance also reimburse me for the costs of trip cancellation because I do not want to travel alone?
In the event that a travel companion falls ill, the costs will not be indemnified. The insurance will indemnify these costs only if a family member falls ill.
If my flight is cancelled and/or the trip is called off due to the coronavirus, will I be reimbursed for the flight tickets and accommodation provided that I have travel interruption as well as the expanded travel interruption coverage?
* If you have purchased travel interruption insurance and/or expanded coverage for travel interruptions, the damages will not be reimbursed.
* In the event of expanded insurance which covers cancellation of a trip of your own volition and provided that you do not wish to take or you cannot take the planned trip, 70% of the costs, which the client could not use and the service provider (accommodation, transportation) could not repay, will be compensated for. This applies even if you decide to cancel your trip due to the coronavirus. See also the answer to the first question about the terms and conditions of the expanded coverage for cancellation of your own volition.
Does the insurance indemnify the cost of the COVID test made in Estonia?
Travel insurance does not indemnify the cost of tests because this is a travel document.
Upon entering into a travel insurance contract, the following information is added to the policy, based on which insurance cases related to coronavirus are indemnified.
In addition to the exclusions specified in clauses 7 and 17 of Seesam travel insurance terms and conditions 1/2022 (hereinafter the Terms and Conditions), the basic coverage and, considering the exceptions below, expanded coverage options of travel interruption insurance do not indemnify for loss directly or indirectly caused by an epidemic or limitations established for hindering the spread thereof. If a trip that had to pass through a country that enforces restrictions in order to prevent the spread of an epidemic is cancelled, it is presumed that the trip was cancelled due to the restrictions established for preventing the spread of the epidemic.
If a travel interruption insurance contract with expanded coverage has been concluded, loss from travel interruption shall be indemnified (clauses 6.1 and 6.2 of the Terms and Conditions) as an exception in the following cases:
- if the insured person falls ill with the COVID-19 disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, due to which the insured person’s trip is cancelled;
- if a family member of the insured person falls ill with the COVID-19 disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus and the insured person is therefore obliged to be in self-isolation, due to which the insured person’s trip is cancelled;
- if the insured person falls ill with the COVID-19 disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus during the trip and is therefore quarantined in a foreign country, due to which the insured person must incur additional costs for continuing or returning from the trip.
Seesam shall indemnify the loss from travel interruption specified in clauses 6.1 and 6.2 of the Terms and Conditions in the abovementioned exceptional cases up to 2000 EUR per insured person, but not more than the travel interruption insurance amount specified in the insurance policy.
In the above cases, the policyholder is obliged to submit to Seesam the positive result of a coronavirus PCR test of the policyholder or their family member, in addition to other evidence specified in the insurance contract, in order to receive the insurance indemnity.
For the purposes of clause 17.1 of the Terms and Conditions, foreseeable facts or conditions are deemed to include, among other things, a situation where the destination country of the trip has restricted access to its territory for any reason and this restriction has been in effect without interruption from the time of chartering the trip or making the contract until the start date of the planned trip.
The exclusion specified in clause 17.1 of the Terms and Conditions shall be valid for all insurance protection options, including cancellation of your own volition.
According to the terms and conditions of the travel insurance Seesam shall not indemnify loss directly or indirectly caused by war.