How does insurance compensate for costs related to coronavirus?[31.01]
If I catch the Covid-19 disease caused by the coronavirus at home and cannot go on a trip, does insurance cover my costs?
* If you have taken basic or expanded travel interruption coverage, insurance will not reimburse the costs incurred.
* If you have taken coverage for cancellation of your own volition, 70% of the costs incurred will be reimbursed. The coverage for cancellation of your own volition should be purchased when making your first travel bookings, but no later than within 2 weeks of buying the trip.
Please note! If the borders of the destination country have been closed at the time of purchasing the travel insurance and they remain closed until the start date of the trip, the expanded coverage for cancellation of your own volition does not apply. This qualifies as foreseeable damage and any costs incurred due to the cancelled trip will not be reimbursed.
If I catch the coronavirus while already being on a trip, does travel insurance cover medical treatment expenses?
Yes, if you catch a viral disease, incl. the coronavirus, abroad, any associated medical assistance costs will be reimbursed. This includes appointment fees, hospital costs and the cost of medicinal products prescribed by doctors.
If I have to be quarantined abroad, does Seesam reimburse associated or additional costs?
* Medical treatment expenses arising from falling ill are reimbursed pursuant to medical care insurance.
* Additional accommodation costs, the cost of new flight tickets and other similar costs incurred due to being put under quarantine will not be reimbursed.
If my flight is cancelled and/or the trip is called off due to the coronavirus, will I be reimbursed for the flight tickets and accommodation provided that I have travel interruption as well as the expanded travel interruption coverage?
* If you have purchased travel interruption insurance and/or expanded coverage for travel interruptions, the damages will not be reimbursed.
* In the event of expanded insurance which covers cancellation of a trip of your own volition and provided that you do not wish to take or you cannot take the planned trip, 70% of the costs, which the client could not use and the service provider (accommodation, transportation) could not repay, will be compensated for. This applies even if you decide to cancel your trip due to the coronavirus. See also the answer to the first question about the terms and conditions of the expanded coverage for cancellation of your own volition.